Wednesday, December 9, 2009

IS THIS SORENESS OR PAIN?

Q: As my workout load has increased I’m finding myself sore and achy when I wake up the next day. How much of that is just normal and how do I know if I’m doing too much?
A: After a particularly long or intense workout your body has the right to complain the next day, but if it’s tough to roll out of bed most mornings it’s time to examine your exercise load and the way in which its distributed over the course of a week or month. The point of threshold training is to push your body hard enough so that it adapts to the stress load, but not to redline it so that it requires days of recovery. If you beat yourself to exhaustion every day you’re going to get hurt and you won’t get stronger. If your schedule is properly structured you’ll wake up most mornings eager for the next workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment